Wednesday 6 January 2016

Swami Dayanand Saraswati on Ego

We have seen in a comment in the last part on Ego and Prejudice that Ego and Pride are considered as the same and are mixed up quite often. It would be relevant to see what an imminent spiritual leader of the last century, Swami Dayanand saraswati has written on this topic.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
I do not produce the result--by Swami Dayananda Saraswati

Ego and pride are closely related, almost synonymous effects born of the same cause, ignorance of the relationship of the individualized sense of I with the world. Although, graced by free will, I have the power to choose my actions, I have no power over the actual result of the action chosen; the result I anticipate can never be more than a probability among possibilities. I do not produce the result. The result of any act of mine, occurs both as the product of materials that I have not authored as well as the outcome of many circumstances, past and present, known and unknown, which must operate in concert for the given result to occur.

If my strong skillful arm throws the winning pass in the final seconds of an American football game, the material and circumstantial factors that come together to produce this are too many for the final result to be a matter for personal pride. I am neither the creator of the football itself nor of my athletic body. Many people and experiences contributed to the development of the skill in the arm that threw the ball. I am not responsible for the clearing of the rainstorm so that the game did not have to be cancelled, or for the sharp earth tremor that occurred 60 seconds after my pass, since a minute earlier, my pass would have been spoiled. Nor can I claim credit for my colleague for who caught the pass to convert the possibility into the winning points.

Pride and ego, when examined, become so silly that humility really cannot be considered a virtue. Humility is simply understanding the world, including myself, because I am part of the world, just as it is. When I understand things as they are, I will be neither proud nor will I be self-condemning. Self-condemnation also is an expression of the ego, to be cleansed by the understanding that there is no locus for condemnation other than a particular thought. I see that personal credit for anything is irrelevant and cannot be substantiated. I simply enjoy the world as a field for the discovery of knowledge, without pride, without egotism.

contributed by Shri BHISHAM MENGHANI
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Comment from Shri Malhotra 
Very very revealing and sublime thoughts. Thanks a lot for sharing this rare piece, especially that "self condemnation is also a result of ego". I some how thought that this has a link to Geeta Saar" Do your karma without worrying for the results"
Also feel that Swami Saraswatiji have not received his place in history that He deserved due lack of overall awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment